Installment Billings are designed as a Club specific solution to billing individual members on a non perpetual basis. For instance, many Clubs charge their new members an Initiation Fee upon joining the club. Installment Billings allow the Club to bill these members for a period of time or until a specific date for this fee. The Office system can generate various frequencies of Installment Billings including Monthly, Quarterly, Semi-Annually, and Annually. In this document, we will explain the various functionalities of an Installment Billing, and how to create a new billing.
Important: Please note that all Installment Billings act as Pre-Bill; setting up a charge for the month of May will cause the charge to be billed on the April 30th Member Statement.
This video contains highlights from a training Webinar given on Installment Billings.
Accessing the Tool
Please note that Installment Billings are applied on an individual Member basis.
To access Installment Billings, select Membership from the left user menu and choose Manage Members. Double-click the appropriate Member to be charged an Installment Billing.
1) Select Installment Billing on the left pane within the Member’s profile. The Installment Billings Grid will launch displaying a list of current Installment Billings.
2) The primary functions associated with managing Installment Billings are embedded in the Installment Billing setup screen, which can be accessed by double-clicking on an existing Billing (to edit an existing Billing), or clicking the New button (to create a new Billing).
Create a New Installment Billing
To create a new Installment Billing,
1) Navigate to the Installment Billing section within the appropriate member’s profile and perform either of the following to launch the Installment Billing setup screen:
a) Click the New icon on the toolbar. OR
b) Right-click anywhere on the Installment Billing Grid and select New.
2) The Installment Billing Setup screen will launch.
3) Please follow the instructions below:
(1) Name - Enter a Name for the Installment Billing.
(2) Billing Item - Use the lookup and select the appropriate Item to be charged at Month End. The Item selected here determines the GL to be credited.
Billing Combo - If the entity to be charged at Month End is an Item Combo, rather than an Item, use the lookup and select the appropriate Item Combo to be charged at Month End.
(3) Frequency - Select the Frequency of the Installment Billing (Monthly, Quarterly, Semi-Annually, or Annually).
(4) Periods - Enter the number of Billings the schedule will consist of.
(5) Start Month/ Start Year - Select the Month and Year of the first scheduled billing.
Important - Keep in mind that all installment Billings act as Pre- Bill, setting up a charge for the month of May will cause the charge to be billed on the April 30th Member Statement.
(6) Amount - Enter the total amount to be billed over time.
(Note: Adjustment field will be covered later in the document).
(7) Schedule - Based on the information entered, a schedule is created. In this example, we set up an Annual Installment Billing to charge the Member $1,000 every May for the next three years, starting in 2017 ($3,000 total).
If necessary, the amount billed each period can be changed. However, please note that the sum of the periods must equal the Amount entered on the schedule.
4) Save & Close - Be sure to select Save & Close when setup is complete.
Save & Close Member Profile
In addition to saving and closing the installment billing, please be sure to also Save & Close the Member’s profile after the Installment Billing has been created.
The Adjustment tab can be used to set up an Installment Billing Schedule that already has payments applied to it, and do not need additional billings processed for the dates in the past. This tool is oftentimes used when Clubs are converting from a different system, or just starting to use the installment billings functionality. To demonstrate, let’s create an Installment Billing for a Membership that began three years ago and has $2,000 of the initial $5,000 left to be paid.
1) Enter the appropriate information in each of the below steps as explained in the above section of this document:
- Billing Item
- Start Month
- Start Year
2) As shown, the Schedule includes five Installments; January, 2015 - January, 2019.
3) Assuming it is April 11, 2017, three of the five installments would have been billed previously. To adjust for this, navigate to the Adjustments tab and select New.
4) Enter a Description that explains the Adjustment and the Amount of the Adjustment. The adjustment amount entered will now populate on the Installment Billing’s main screen.
5) After the Adjustments are entered, the Schedule must be updated. Since the $3,000 Adjustment entered relates to Installments from January 2015, 2016 and 2017, we will adjust those Installments to $0 on the Schedule.
6) Click Save & Close.
Credit Installments can be used to apply a credit toward a Member’s balance at a certain frequency. A typical Credit Installment could be a Quarterly Membership Sponsor Credit if a Member gets another Member to join the Club.
Please follow the below instructions to set up a Credit Installment:
1) Follow the same steps used to create a normal Installment Billing, however in the Amount field please enter a negative amount so the system will Credit the Member, rather than bill them the Amount.
2) Based on the information entered, a schedule is created. In this example, we set up a Quarterly Credit Installment to Credit the Member $300 every Quarter of 2017.
3) Select Save & Close.
Delete Installment Billing
To delete an Installment Billing, select the appropriate Installment Billing within the Member’s profile and select the Delete Icon.
Month End Wizard - Installment Billings
Installment Billings are charged to Members through the Month End Wizard and will be included in the same batches as Dues and other charges set up through Member Billing Schedules.
Import Installment Billings
In addition to manually creating installment billings, Installment Billings may also be imported. Typically, this feature is utilized in conjunction with the implementation of your system, and will be utilized by your implementation team, however, this feature is also available to you.
To access the import, select Membership from the top menu, and choose Import Installment Billings.
Follow the Import Wizard prompts to complete import.
An example installment billing template (csv file) has been laid out below.
- Set up installment billings to help simplify and automate billings that occur in regular cycles, and have a start and end date.
- Use the Import feature to add a large amount of installment billings at once.
Q. Do you have a sample template I could use in the Installment Billings import?
A. Yes, click on embedded link, and download file for use.